My PunBB forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-14 17:37:15

[twisti]
Administrator

Roleplaying Round, Chapter 01

Good morning. Here is how it is:

You all have joined or have been recruited into the Royal Expedition Force recently. You have been given very little training, because time was short, and you were all deemed expendable. Of course, you all know why:

Six months ago, your kind sovereign, King Tortilis I, has found an enchanted note, left behind by an ancient enemy, the Destroyer of Worlds, for a human citizen of the Empire, named Batlin.

This is what the note said: "Batlin! I command you, to go through the pillars, and follow the unwitting human female Gwenno to the Serpent Isle. There, we shall carry out my plans to destroy the Empire!".

Unfortunately, nobody knew where those pillars were, so the wise King sent out hundreds of small parties, such as yourself, out to find them. And find them you did. After six days on the seas, your little boat crossed through two massive pillars, and in the morning you found yourself waking from an unnatural sleep, stranded on the coast of a place none of you recognized. All of your equipment is gone. You only have yourself, and the clothes on your back.

(ooc: why don't you introduce yourself, by posting everything the others have learned about you during those six days on the boat)

#2 2008-03-14 17:56:06

Crowbarman

Re: Roleplaying Round, Chapter 01

"Hey, where's all my stuff.  Um.  I think I lost that stuff you guys asked me to hold on to.  Sorry.  OOH, shiny."  The tall (for a halfling), annoying girl that's been yapping at you all the trip and stealing all you stuff (claiming you wanted her to hold onto them for various reasons) goes and pick up a random shell that catches the light just right, hoping something of value is below it.  Cassa (pronounced ca-SA) is a rare kender.  Her parents were banished to this world from the afterlife after annoying one too many gods, a matter she's repeated at least 5 times a day with great pride.  Her blond hair, hanging loose dances in the early morning sunlight.  She'd be a very lovely sight, if you didn't know her.  Instead, you're just looking for a nice piece of seaweed to strangle her with.  You greatly rue the day that dumb ass king put you on a boat with her.  You have no doubt she was only recruited for this mission to get her out of his kingdom.

Last edited by Crowbarman (2008-03-14 18:29:56)

#3 2008-03-14 18:39:10

Rebecca

The elf woman lies on the sand, her auburn hair twining across the creamy tan granules, her mind racing over the past week as she attempts to remember how she got to this place.
Someone in a position of authority sent her on a mission to locate some special pillars... she had been sent as part of a group...
She opens her eyes and looks around noting the rest of her party in various states of grogginess. Closing her eyes once more, she relives more of the previous days.
They were given a boat, too small for her liking, and sailed off. She rarely spoke except to utter incantations beneath her breath, practicing should she need to do some feeble spell. Only an apprentice wizard, she could barely call up enough sparks to light up her face. She was learning though, that was important to remember--one must always keep their confidence up. She had been practicing during the trip over strange waters. She didn't know anyone else on the tiny boat.
She watched them though, always trying to glean some information from their postures, their expressions. And she listened when any of them would utter so much as a word. Knowledge is everything to a young wizard-to-be.
Having recaptured her memory, she sat up and looked about, bedraggled and sodden, blue robe clinging to her thin body.
She gets to her feet, determined to find out where she is and waits for someone to take charge of the situation. This is, after all, her first time leaving her hometown. Her first journey.

#4 2008-03-14 18:41:48

Rockstar

The tall somewhat quiet man simply walks off and sits away from everyone else.  You really don't know much about him other than he is of an above average height, (For a human) has a decent build, and rarely talks.  He spends most of his time gawking at the world and when he does talk it's usually to ask when something happened or what something is.  With his first impression he seems to be a simple man that doesn't possess much knowledge or ability.

#5 2008-03-14 20:08:43

Davlestor

After awakening, Davlestor stands with his hands on his hips trying to remember what happened last night.  The half-elf is all too familiar with the particular feeling of waking up in some unknown place for some unknown reason.  Then the events of the past week came rushing back to him.  The trouble he ran into at that hick village, the quick promise of escape provided by the Royal Expedition Force, and the hellish six day long trip at sea.  He never liked being around vast amounts of water, too much he couldn't see, and he was glad to be back on land.  But then he noticed something.

"WHAT THE HELL!?" he yelled, half at the people around him,  half at himself.  "All my stuff is gone!" Everything, save for the clothes on his back had disappeared.  Upset with himself for allowing this to happen, he slumped down into the sand.  He ran his fingers through his dark shoulder length hair, checking through his internal inventory of everything he owned, now gone.  "This is impossible", he whispered to himself.  He never acted so carelessly ever in his life.  Growing up on his own in the slums, he had to be vigilant day and night, even while he slept. There had to be something behind this.  He retraced the events that occurred last night, but nothing was amiss, he went to bed same as he did the other five nights. No, something was definitely not right. 

Davlestor gathered his wits about him.
"Um, excuse me, can anyone please tell where we are and what has happened?"

#6 2008-03-14 20:18:00

[twisti]
Administrator

While you look around, you notice the following things:

There is a massive storm above your heads, and while it does not look like rain, periodically lightning strikes much too close for comfort. As you move around, you see lightning striking rocks, driftwood and bushed - and they transform into different objects. A cauldron, a brick, some pliers, a roll of bandaids. This storm is magical, and from the way the hair on your neck raises, powerful magics unlike anything you've ever seen or even heard of before.

You are on a sandy beach, with a short strip of grass between the beach and a small row of cliffs. Too high to climb, but not much more than that. The north is a dead end, so the only direction to go, from here, seems to be south. In the distance, you can make out what looks like some wooden docks, although the weather is too bad and visibility isn't good enough to be certain.

What do you want to do ?

#7 2008-03-14 20:42:36

Davlestor

Davlestor stopped his questioning when a lightning bolt hit a little too close for comfort.  He quickly notices the storm that crept up on them, today has not been his day.  To the south he notices what appears to be wooden docks.  Davlestor concentrates his gaze on the seemingly wooden features and notices something amazing.

It apparently is just some wooden docks with nothing around it, no boats, people, or anything.  He can't see anything behind them though. 
"Anyone want to make a little trip?", he asks turning around back to his fellow adventurers.
Then he notices a cauldron among some other peculiar items. Thinking they may come in handy, he scoops up the pliers and bandaids, and heads toward the docks. 
"Maybe there will be something else there," he yells over his shoulder, expecting them to come along.

#8 2008-03-14 20:52:23

Rockstar

Waleran follows Davlestor to the docks, hoping not to be struck by lightning.  As he is running he reasons that since there are wooden docks off in the distance that the Island must be inhabited.  Since the storm didn't seem at all natural it would make sense that some powerful magician had conjured the storm.

Last edited by Rockstar (2008-03-14 20:54:43)

#9 2008-03-14 20:54:12

Rebecca

Thinking about the magical storm creating items, Rebecca grabs up the brick wondering what magical potential it may hold inside it and follows Davlestor to the south.

#10 2008-03-14 21:30:16

[twisti]
Administrator

On your way to the docks, you face a fierce newbie wolf that you swiftly dispatch of.

#11 2008-03-15 06:08:23

Saint_BoBo

Koleas swiftly moves up behind the rest of the group, trying not to be notice. A lone wolf from birth, his only comfort is in the full swing of battle. He came running through the grass from the direction of the cliffs, which he had been checking out as a way of escape from the island, when he heard the sounds of battle. He arrives at the dead newbie wolf. His examination of the dead wolf came to a close when lightning struck a little too close for comfort. Hearing voices a little bit ahead, Koleas runs down the path to the others.

#12 2008-03-15 11:32:40

Crowbarman

Cassa digs around in the sand a little longer, totally ignoring the lightning.  When she looks up and sees the cauldron, she wonders over to it and looks in, hoping for something of value in it.  She barely notices the departure of the group and follows after her inspection.  Her eyes wander to the horizons, wondering how the area would look on a map and trying to remember it for when she finds a piece of paper and some charcoal.  She lags behind the group, noticing the fight too late to join.  She picks up some pebbles and reaches for her whippik, only to remember it was lost with all her other shiny belongings.

Last edited by Crowbarman (2008-03-15 11:33:45)

#13 2008-03-15 14:40:39

[twisti]
Administrator

Just as you all get past the wooden dock, you suddenly find that you can't move nor speak. A woman appears in front of you in a swirl of colors. She wears the black and gray robe of a monk, and speaks to you:

"It is really happening as has been foretold. My name is Thoxa. Here, take this. It is the Hourglass of Fate, and through it, the monks of Xenka can aid you. If any of you die, we can resurrect you, albeit at great cost."

She looks over her shoulder, a hurried look in her eyes: "I have much more to tell you, and little time. Know that your coming has been foretold by the writings of Xenka. 'During the last days, a group of Heroes will come from a land far away from ours. Those Heroes, with help from a Power in the Void, will drive the evil from the land'. We also know that to fulfill the prophecy, you will need three ancient artifacts; a ring, a necklace and an earring."

A volley of lightnings strike close by, and with a wave of her arm she continues, "This world is in turmoil. We know that these magical storms signal the coming of the end of the world. Strange illnesses plague our lands, and everyone with even a hint of magical sense feels that something is WRONG in the world. This is the time of Imbalance. This is the end time."

She sighs and adds: "Some more worldly advice: if you continue down this coast, look for a hidden cave. There you might be able to find some more clues. Further down are the gates to the knight city of Monitor, and behind the city lie the open plains."

She tries to continue, but suddenly another swirl next to her appears and forms into a second, older monk. "Thoxa, you have been told not to interfere with the prophecy. Just by taalking to the Heroes you might have caused change. Come with me now."

Thoxa mumbles a spell, and suddenly the second monk is trapped in a stasis field. "Karnax will take me back to our monastery as soon as he breaks through the spell, so listen closely! To restore the world to balance, you will need the black sword with the caged demon! Find it or all will be lost!"

No sooner than she tells you this, the monk Karnax fights through the stasis, grabs Thoxa by the shoulder, and both of them disappear in a swirl of light.

The moment they are gone, you can move your legs again, and stare at the empty space in wonder.

(ooc: LumberJane was handed the Hourglass of Fate, because she was the first to step off the dock)

#14 2008-03-15 14:50:12

Crowbarman

"OOH, shiny!!!"  Cassa grabs the hourglass and starts flipping it back and forth, watching the sands travel between its halves.

#15 2008-03-15 15:14:19

Crowbarman

<Davlestor> Excuse me
<Cassa> Hmm?
<Davlestor> Cassa?
<Cassa> yes
<Davlestor> Can I inspect that hourglass for a moment?
<Cassa> but... shiny
<Davlestor> It'll only be for a little while
<Cassa> oh, ok

Cassa hands over the hourglass to Davlestor.  She then sneaks behind him and makes a grab for the shiny pliers.

After missing completely, she spots a glint off to the side and goes to investigate, putting the hourglass completely out of her mind.

Last edited by Crowbarman (2008-03-15 15:17:09)

#16 2008-03-15 15:22:21

Davlestor

Davlestor inspects the Hourglass of Fate.  It is definitely a piece constructed by magic.  As he holds it in his hands it feels as heavy as a feather.  He turns it upside down and the grains of sand flow the same exact way that it did right side up.  He bashes it against a rock, but not even a scratch can be found.  He throws it away into the ocean, but it reappears in his hand. 
"I guess we're stuck with this..."
He looks for Cassa to hand it back, but she is a little ways off rummaging through brush.  He figures she forgot about the hourglass so he places it in his pocket.

#17 2008-03-15 17:20:49

Rockstar

Waleran after hearing Thoxa mention the hidden cave perks up and shyly says, "Should we uh, organise a search party to find the, uh hidden cave?  Or head in to the city first and look for the hidden cave tomorrow?"

#18 2008-03-15 17:24:05

Crowbarman

"Lets go to the city first.  Someone might know something about it.  Or we can at least try to find a map of the area, it'll help in the search."

#19 2008-03-15 17:48:52

Rebecca

Rebecca momentarily feels the essence of magic from the hourglass before it is stolen from her hands and passed on to Davlestor. A frown creases her brow, partially in thought, partially in frustration. As Davlestor pockets the magical hourglass, she directs the frown at him. "I do study magic and magical artifacts, you know. I would like to study the hourglass that was given to us."

#20 2008-03-15 18:17:23

Davlestor

Palming the hourglass Davlestor says,"Here you go Rebecca, good luck. I need a drink, it has been a long day. Into the city we go!" He hands the hourglass to Rebecca and hurries off towards the gates.

#21 2008-03-15 18:32:34

Rebecca

Grasping the hourglass in her small hands, Rebecca feels once again the magical aura of it. Thanking Davlestor with a smile, she concentrates on it before realizing some of the party was headed off toward the city.
"Wait! That monk said we should go to the cave. It seemed pretty important..."
She goes quiet and waits to see if anyone will listen to her.

After a few seconds, she shrugs and starts to follow Davlestor toward the city, making a mental note to watch for any hidden caves along the way.

Last edited by Rebecca (2008-03-15 19:01:14)

#22 2008-03-15 18:36:44

Crowbarman

"If we just look for the cave straight out, it could take hours.  We'd need a proper map at the very least.  And, well, food will be an issue eventually.  I've already missed one breakfast, I'm not about to miss another.  And even a secret cave leaves clues.  The locals might know something."

#23 2008-03-15 18:37:31

Saint_BoBo

Koleas slowly creeps up behind Rebecca and silently stares at the hour glass while she studies it. "Interesting little devil isn't it?" Koleas near whispers, partly to himself and partly to Rebecca. Koleas stands staring at the Hourglass for a little while longer before continuing his walk to the city gates, whistling a merry little tune of his invention.

#24 2008-03-16 12:08:57

[twisti]
Administrator

#25 2008-03-17 12:11:50

[twisti]
Administrator

http://i27.tinypic.com/1z6ruap.png

1: Your boat
2: The dock
3: The gate
4: The crematorium with the underground burial tunnels on the left

I trust you can tell that the waves mark the ocean, while the ^s mark mountains (the tunnels go below the mountains, obviously)

Board footer